}

Nigeria’s diplomatic and immigration machinery is facing renewed scrutiny after the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) alleged that immigration personnel serving at Nigerian missions abroad are owed as much as 15 months in salaries and allowances, while some newly appointed attachés remain stranded and postings are allegedly being withdrawn and reassigned.

The allegations, raised publicly by CLO Executive Director Steve Aluko on Sunday, August 16, 2026, have revived a dispute that first emerged publicly in 2025, when immigration officers abroad complained of months of unpaid entitlements. In September 2025, the CLO said affected officers had gone 14 months without payment and threatened legal action against the Federal Government. 

The latest allegations go beyond delayed payments. They centre on the administration of foreign postings, with Aluko claiming that some officers appointed to serve as immigration attachés have waited for months without deployment, while others may be recalled despite being owed substantial sums.

The Nigeria Immigration Service, however, has rejected any suggestion that the personnel will be abandoned financially. Its spokesperson, Akinsola Akinlabi, described the controversy as an administrative matter and said affected officers had already been mobilised for deployment. He assured them that their outstanding entitlements would be addressed before any affected officers are recalled. 

That official assurance now raises a critical question: if the government accepts that outstanding entitlements are due, why have officers serving abroad reportedly remained unpaid for months in the first place?

CLO alleges 15-month payment crisis

According to the CLO, the latest complaints came from immigration personnel affected by delays in salary and allowance payments, as well as uncertainty over foreign postings.

Aluko alleged that some immigration officers deployed in 2023 could be recalled while still owed more than 14 months in allowances. He also claimed that some personnel appointed to foreign missions more than two years ago had still not proceeded to their designated stations. 

The allegations are particularly serious because foreign postings come with costs that are substantially different from routine domestic deployment. Officers serving abroad can face high accommodation costs, school fees, medical expenses, transportation bills and other obligations denominated in foreign currencies.

Aluko said some of the affected officers had accumulated debts because of the payment delays.

Many of the new attachés have been left hanging, while others have had their postings withdrawn and reallocated to close allies of those at the top,” he alleged.

This is the highest level of injustice and we won’t allow it. We are therefore requesting an immediate investigation and intervention to ensure due process and fairness before any new postings are effected.” 

The accusation of preferential deployment is potentially as significant as the salary dispute because foreign postings within security and diplomatic institutions are expected to operate through established administrative procedures rather than personal influence.

The CLO has not publicly produced evidence establishing that named senior officials personally directed any alleged reallocations. The claims therefore remain allegations requiring independent investigation.

The controversy is not new

The latest development did not emerge in isolation.

In August and September 2025, immigration officers serving abroad publicly complained that their salaries and allowances had not been paid for up to 14 months. One officer quoted at the time said the last payment received was in June 2024. Another complained that while several Federal Government agencies had personnel stationed abroad, Immigration Service personnel were allegedly experiencing a substantially longer delay. 

The Guardian subsequently reported the CLO’s September 2025 intervention, when Aluko warned that the prolonged arrears were creating severe hardship for affected personnel and their families. He said the delay could also have national-security consequences. 

“Owing immigration officers on foreign mission for 14 months brings a lot of harshness, a lot of trouble, dysfunction in their family life, and it leads to loss of property and loss of livelihood in some instances,” Aluko said at the time. 

He further warned:

If you don’t pay them, and their families suffer, you are indirectly making them vulnerable to all sorts of abuses and forms of possible international espionage that can even sell a lot of critical information about the country.” 

The CLO also threatened legal action and said it could involve the National Assembly if the situation was not resolved. 

The fact that a similar dispute has resurfaced in 2026 suggests that the underlying administrative problem may not have been conclusively resolved.

Why immigration attachés matter to national security

The controversy cannot be viewed simply as an employment dispute.

The Nigeria Immigration Service has a statutory responsibility for the control of persons entering and leaving Nigeria, issuance of travel documents to Nigerians inside and outside the country, residence permits for foreigners, border surveillance and enforcement of immigration laws. 

The Service also maintains immigration desks and personnel at Nigerian missions abroad.

An official NIS document states that the Service has desk officers at 40 Nigerian missions abroad, responsible for passport issuance to eligible Nigerians, visas for foreigners travelling to Nigeria and other consular functions. The document also records the deployment of immigration attachés to foreign missions. 

That overseas presence has become increasingly important as Nigeria attempts to improve passport security, migration management and international border cooperation.

In July 2026, the NIS announced a major international passport-security milestone after Nigeria’s Country Signing Certificate Authorities were incorporated into the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s Public Key Directory. The Service said the development would improve authentication of Nigerian passports at border-control points worldwide. 

The contradiction is striking: Nigeria is investing in sophisticated international travel-document security and global interoperability while facing allegations that personnel required to administer part of that system abroad have been left with prolonged financial uncertainty.

Passport services for Nigerians abroad

For Nigerians living overseas, immigration personnel are not merely administrative bureaucrats.

The NIS says Nigerians applying from outside the country can submit passport applications online and complete biometric enrolment through Nigerian missions. 

The Service’s official mandate expressly includes issuing travel documents to Nigerians outside Nigeria. 

This means an adequately staffed and functioning immigration presence abroad can significantly reduce the need for Nigerians to travel back to Nigeria merely to access immigration-related services.

Aluko argued that the officers also facilitate interactions involving Nigeria at governmental, corporate and individual levels.

They are facilitating international engagements between Nigeria and other countries, whether at government, corporate or individual level. They are not supposed to be rewarded in this way,” he said.

That argument gives the dispute a broader national-interest dimension.

A government may regard unpaid allowances as an accounting problem, but for personnel performing border, identity and migration functions in foreign jurisdictions, prolonged financial distress can become an institutional-risk issue.

CLO demands government intervention

The CLO has called for immediate intervention by the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, the National Security Adviser, the Accountant-General of the Federation and the Chief of Staff to the President. 

The organisation wants an investigation into the allegations surrounding delayed deployment, withdrawal or reallocation of appointments and the reported unpaid entitlements.

It has also warned that it could take the matter to the National Assembly and organise a protest if the situation persists. 

Aluko’s position is that recalling officers is not necessarily the problem. The problem, he says, is doing so without first paying legitimate outstanding entitlements.

If the government pays them their money and asks them to come back tomorrow, they will. All we are asking is for government to pay their entitlements before returning them home.” 

That distinction is important.

The CLO is not publicly demanding that officers remain abroad indefinitely. It is demanding that the government settle what it says the officers are owed before changing their status or requiring them to return.

NIS gives reassurance but leaves questions unanswered

The Nigeria Immigration Service has attempted to defuse the dispute.

Akinlabi said the issue was administrative, that affected officers had been mobilised for deployment and that their outstanding entitlements would be paid. He urged officers and other stakeholders to remain calm. 

The spokesperson also stressed the strategic importance of immigration personnel to national security, including counter-terrorism activities. 

This acknowledgement is significant.

It means the Service is not disputing the principle that personnel have a right to receive payment for work already performed. Instead, the unresolved issue is when and through what administrative process the outstanding obligations will actually be cleared.

The latest NIS statement, however, does not publicly quantify the amount owed, identify the number of affected officers, explain why arrears persisted, or provide a firm payment timetable.

Nor does the response publicly address the CLO’s allegations concerning allegedly withdrawn postings or the claim that some appointments were reassigned in favour of officers with connections to senior officials.

Those are precisely the areas where a transparent administrative review would be most valuable.

The accountability gap

The central issue emerging from this dispute is not merely whether salaries were delayed.

It is whether Nigeria has an effective system for managing, financing and auditing the overseas deployment of personnel whose duties touch passports, migration control, national identity and security.

The government’s response must therefore go beyond assurances.

If the officers are owed money, the authorities should establish the exact period covered, amount outstanding, affected personnel and the administrative reason for the delay.

If postings were withdrawn or reassigned, there should be a clear explanation of the criteria used.

If allegations of preferential treatment are false, a transparent review could settle the matter.

And if they are substantiated, the consequences should not stop at correcting individual postings. There would be a wider question about the integrity of the foreign-posting system across Nigeria’s security and diplomatic institutions.

The stakes are larger than the welfare of individual officers.

NIS itself has emphasised its role in border security and international cooperation. Its published strategy identifies migration intelligence, cooperation with foreign agencies and measures to disrupt terrorist threats as important elements of its security function. 

That makes the welfare and institutional independence of personnel deployed abroad a legitimate national-security concern.

What happens next?

The government now has an opportunity to turn a potentially damaging controversy into a demonstration of accountability.

The immediate test is whether the assurance from the Nigeria Immigration Service translates into actual payment.

The second is whether the allegations concerning foreign postings are investigated independently.

The third is whether the Federal Government can explain how an institution responsible for highly sensitive migration and border functions allowed a dispute over foreign-duty payments to persist for so long.

The CLO says it is prepared to escalate the matter.

The NIS says affected personnel should remain calm and that their outstanding entitlements will be addressed.

For the immigration officers caught in the middle, however, the issue is brutally simple: they have served, they have bills to pay, and they want the government to honour its obligations.

Until the arrears are cleared and the allegations over deployment are independently addressed, the controversy is unlikely to disappear.

The Atlantic Post investigation angle

The most important unanswered questions are now financial and administrative: How much does the Federal Government owe the affected immigration officers? Who authorised the delays? What budget lines were used for foreign-service allowances? How many officers have had postings delayed, withdrawn or reassigned? And can the government publish an auditable record showing that every affected officer has been paid before recall?

Those questions deserve answers—not assurances alone.


Follow us on our broadcast channels today!


Discover more from Atlantic Post

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Join the debate; let's know your opinion.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Trending

Discover more from Atlantic Post

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from Atlantic Post

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading