By Taiwo Adebowale
The Yar’Adua Political Family (PDM) has endorsed the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar as their consensus candidate.
According to a communique issued at the end of their one-day meeting at the Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja on Friday, February 8, they came to the inevitable conclusion after a careful observation of the socio-economic situation in the country.
They however called on voters to conduct themselves in orderly manner by casting their votes and be willing to stand to protect their votes.
Below is the full text of the communique.
BEING A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY THE YAR’ADUA POLITICAL FAMILY (PDM) AFTER A ONE-DAY MEETING AT THE YAR’ADUA CENTRE, ABUJA ON FRIDAY, 8TH FEBRUARY, 2019.
The Yar’Adua Political Family (PDM) was formed on August 2nd, 1987 under the able leadership of late Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, the Tafidan Katsina. It was formed primarily to be the conscience and voice of the masses.
At inception, the sole aim of the PDM was to provide purposeful leadership for the country anchored on grass root strategy based on social justice, equity and fairness. There is no doubt that the Yar’Adua Political Family (PDM) has since its formation passed through various challenges, distractions and victimization climaxed by the incarceration and cold blooded murder of our revered founder and leader, Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua.
Notwithstanding these challenges, the guiding principles of the organization as they were in 1987, remains same today. They include:
i. No south or north dichotomy
ii. United Nigeria and
iii. The resolve to always support one of the political family members in pursuit of elective office in the service of the fatherland.
It is noteworthy to point out that even though membership in this political family cuts across all the major political parties in the country, it has always been our prayers that one of our own be given the opportunity to showcase our outstanding leadership qualities irrespective of the political parties that throws up such a candidate for as long as he/she is a member of the political family.
To this end, and with the 2019 presidential election exactly a week away, it has become incumbent on us, as founding members of the Yar’Adua Political Family (PDM), to lend our voice to the conversations around the epochal electoral contest.
We are conscious of our position as proud members of the oldest political organization in contemporary Nigeria and it is noteworthy to say that this particular election cycle presents itself as a test to the virility of democratic governance in our country.
After extensive consultations with members of our group, we therefore make the following proclamations:
1. That the tension that has been generated by the 2019 elections is getting to a disturbing proportion and we call on all actors in the electoral process to ensure that peace ensues before, during and after the elections.
2. We call on the security operatives to be impartial and to focus on their main mandate of preserving and protecting the lives and property of every Nigeria and foreigners alike.
3. That politicians should refrain from making insidious statements and anyone caught going against this should be duly prosecuted.
4. That after a careful observation of the socio-economic situation in the country, we have come to the inevitable conclusion of endorsing the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar as our consensus candidate.
5. That we demand of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) complies strictly with the provisions of the relevant laws in its conduct of the upcoming series of elections.
6. That election monitor groups and other watchdog agencies in the conduct of the election must conduct themselves above board and ensure a hitch-free election in February 16 and on March 2, 2019.
7. That Voters should as well conduct themselves in orderly manner by casting their votes and be willing to stand to protect their votes.
We believe that the 2019 election is a landmark opportunity for Nigeria to take a decision for the growth of the nation’s economy and, consequently, the general prosperity of all Nigerians.
To this end therefore, we will continue to mobilize support for the PDP candidate, Atiku Abubakar and we as well urge all Nigerians to look at the condition of the country today in relation to the economy, unemployment, foreign affairs and other sectors and vote overwhelmingly for Atiku to get Nigeria working again.
Signed for and on behalf of the Yar’Adua Political Family (PDM)
Hon. Dubem Onyia (South East)
Chief Bode Ajewole (South West)
Chief Ejiofor Onyia (South South)
Dr Bala Ahmed Tafida (North Central)
Alhaji Kabir Bawa (North East)
Barr. Fatima Abba (North West)
Dapo Sarumi (Chairman)